I’ve been a longtime fan of internet salsa radios as a means to expand musical knowledge, especially as I am partial to listening to music while I work. My old-time favorite station was DJ Alvaro’s (of Barcelona) “Classic Salsa” station on Live365, which I regrettably stopped listening to when it turned VIP, and which I recently found out has stopped broadcasting altogether.
A few times, I tried running my own online radio station, to reasonably favorable reviews, but had to stop because of technical difficulties with the server, so now I am back to being a listener.
Live365 does still offer a fairly wide selection of radio stations, but I find today the commercial-to-content ratio is too skewed for me to truly enjoy it for long periods of time.
And I have recently discovered another station that I am writing here to recommend.
This station has several great things going for it:
- it is an actual on-air radio station in NY (WHUT 91.9 FM if you’re there)
- it has an impressive roster of DJs, most of which I know by reputation, some I’ve even corresponded with over the years
- it plays a wide range of old sounds and modern rhythms, all suited to the dance floor and to my taste
- very few commercials, and not “always the same” annoying live365-style jingles.
- if the music information is not embedded in the stream itself, it’s announced by the on-air DJ, so you can take notes on what music to buy or research.
You can listen to it on iTunes, Winamp, Quicktime or your choice of media player.
You can even listen to it on the iPhone with apps such as Pocket Tunes (http://www.normsoft.com/products/iphone/pockettunes/)
Radio Page is: http://hardsalsa.com/radio.html
Happy Listening !